I would think that mri_mask would work, but you can also try
fscalc lh_zstats_EPI_space_5mm_surface_smoothing.mgh mul Atlas/atlas_dilated.nii.gz -o masked_func.mgh

On 9/23/2020 11:18 AM, Fischl, Bruce wrote:

Hi Mason

mri_mask runs in the volume, not the surface. Are these volumes? There is a masking function in freeview I think for surface overlays – maybe Ruopeng can comment?

Thanks

Bruce

*From:* freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu <freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> *On Behalf Of *Mason Wells
*Sent:* Wednesday, September 23, 2020 10:50 AM
*To:* Freesurfer support list <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
*Cc:* Greve, Douglas N.,Ph.D. <dgr...@mgh.harvard.edu>
*Subject:* Re: [Freesurfer] Masking surface overlays and spatial correlations {Disarmed}

*        External Email - Use Caution *

Hi Bruce and Doug,

Thanks for the advice. I have the mask as a volume (atlas_dilated.label.nii.gz), which loads fine as a generic overlay on the inflated surface.

However, when I run this command

    mri_mask lh_zstats_EPI_space_5mm_surface_smoothing.mgh
    Atlas/atlas_dilated.nii.gz masked_func.mgh

The output still has activation outside of the mask (see attached). Am I doing something wrong here?

Also, I wondered if yourself or Doug could help with my other question in my original email? Is there a Freesurfer equivalent of fslcc? I want to run spatial cross-correlations between a probabilistic atlas (Wang 15 atlas) and my functional data.

Cheers,

Mason

*Mason T Wells, MSc*

*PhD student*

School of Optometry and Vision Sciences

& Cardiff University Brain Research

Imaging Centre (CUBRIC), School of Psychology

Cardiff University

Cardiff

CF24 4HQ

UK

*/Email/*: wells...@cardiff.ac.uk <mailto:wells...@cardiff.ac.uk>

*/Tel/*: 02920 879628

/*Web*/: Cardiff University webpage <https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/people/research-students/view/974214->

*Mason T Wells, MSc*

*Myfyriwr PhD*

Yr Ysgol Optometreg a Gwyddorau’r Golwg

& Canolfan Ymchwil Delweddu’r Ymennydd Prifysgol Caerdydd (CUBRIC), Yr Ysgol Seicoleg

Prifysgol Caerdydd

Heol Maindy

Caerdydd

CF24 4HQ