Hi all,
I was thinking the other day, that it would be nice to pair a cheap Android
smartphone with a standard analog FM handheld radio (maybe a Baofeng) and
upgrade your aging FM transceiver to a state of the art digital radio with
Bluetooth, GPS, the ability to bridge voice through a VoIP channel using
the Wifi or 3G connection and many other features.

So what is stopping us from doing that? Not very much apparently. All the
bits and pieces are there already, David and Brady did a huge amount of
work on the VHF 2400 modes, so sending a 1300 bit/s stream of Codec2 over
the air using a standard handheld should be a breeze. But we might need to
be able to also talk APRS to send coordinates, so switching between modes
should be easy.

Or, why not connect a bog standard Android phone to a credid card sized SDR
frontend like the USRP B205-mini and step into the future of pocket SDR
radio from DC to daylight. Gnuradio already has very good optimizations for
ARM v7 using the neon_hardfp_orc Volk kernel, and it can only get better
from here.

So, I hacked together a few scripts to pair a cheap Chinese cellphone with
my analog FM handheld and send digital voice using gnuradio and Codec2.
Introducing project DroidDV - digital voice through a standard smartphone.
Now, if only I could find a couple of enthusiastic Android developers to
create all the software and wrap it around in a nice looking interface to
make it marketable.

Here's a video showing what can be done in a few hours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JibJhNs13qw

Cheers,
Adrian