Hi Jeroen,

Again, your documentation is great, I wish I had the time to do such a
thing for my code as well.

I am somewhat biased in favor of running a Gnuradio modem though,
because it is SDR ready, and the implementation/ testing of a new
modem is very easy. Right now, the CPU footprint of Gnuradio is much
heavier than that of FreeDV, especially if the graph runs at a high
sample rate, so that is the major obstacle against me pushing for a
wideband frontend like the USRP.

For Android phones, the main limitation is CPU. There is a very hard
decision to make when creating a new application. On one hand, the
Android userland is quite poor compared to GNU/Linux, on the other
hand applications are much more user friendly. I loathe developing
using the Android SDK due to past experiences but I think if FreeDV is
to be made marketable, it should be a native Android app.

Right now, I am looking into providing SD card images with a complete
setup for digital voice (implemented), text messages (implemented),
VoIP bridging (implemented), slow speed AX.25 (not implemented yet),
APRS messages (being implemented right now) and functions for
repeater control (half implemented). The setup should be able to run in
both GUI mode as well as console only and be able to switch between
analog/digital on demand. Analog voice is using high quality Opus and
digital voice is forwarded without transcoding as Codec2 packets.
More modems can be implemented in Gnuradio for e.g. DMR and D-STAR
compatibility.

Various proprietary aspects of parts of Android slow down development
because it is hard to access certain data in the Linux container.
I will have a look at your API in the next few days and see if I can use it
myself. Meanwhile, the Gnuradio modems are available on Github, but
the rest is not pushed yet due to time constraints.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Sunday 05 June 2016 15:59:11 Jeroen Vreeken wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> Sounds great!
>
> On 06/04/2016 10:43 AM, Adrian Musceac wrote:
> > So what is stopping us from doing that? Not very much apparently.
All
> > the bits and pieces are there already, David and Brady did a huge
> > amount of work on the VHF 2400 modes, so sending a 1300 bit/s
stream
> > of Codec2 over the air using a standard handheld should be a
breeze.
> > But we might need to be able to also talk APRS to send
coordinates, so
> > switching between modes should be easy.
>
> I already did some work for APRS integration. I am calling it 'FPRS' and
> sending a postion update can already be done with two data frames
> (80ms), adding more stuff like direction and altitude will ofcourse add
> some more.
>
> To get it short the protocol is binary instead of text based like APRS,
> but I also made an fprs2aprs_gate which will listen for FPRS packets
and
> will translate them to APRS packets before sending them to the
APRS-IS