OK, 15 minutes into it...

where are: ?????
they are declared in quantise.h
but I cannot find any defition for them anywhere at all...
with thanks

void pack(unsigned char * bits, unsigned int *nbit, int index, unsigned
int index_bits);
void pack_natural_or_gray(unsigned char * bits, unsigned int *nbit, int
index, unsigned int index_bits, unsigned int gray);
int  unpack(const unsigned char * bits, unsigned int *nbit, unsigned int
index_bits);
int  unpack_natural_or_gray(const unsigned char * bits, unsigned int
*nbit, unsigned int index_bits, unsigned int gray);