depends on the applied data/modulator filter prior to modulation.

the trellis coding doesnt actually remove the isi.... it's all about pre
filtering and post equalisation, directed rather than static. Though the
DMR modem is super simple.

Be aware, some modulation types are designed to have "closed eye" (when
observed in the baseband) , and the ISI is undone by a equaliser in
software.

The software equaliser can undo whatever linear process happens in the
baseband. It takes time though and given the burst nature of DMR, it
comes in hell or high water and is decoded as it is.  (yes the trellis
coding assists error control) .

Things that are HARD to compensate/equalise are non linear effects such
as asymmetrical IF responses (also can be caused by being off frequency)
and assymetrical group delays in IF chains.

the direct IQ baseband radios afford some advantages in these cases.