Hi,

I know talking about proprietary SDR devices is probably frowned upon
on this list, but doing TDMA with a modern SDR, let's say the Ettus
USRP, is fairly easy and there is a lot of open source code for ex.
GSM. Myself, I have been running a GSM network in amateur bands to
play with some ideas: conferences/talkgroups, voice over IP
forwarding, linking cells etc.
Some things can be learned from GSM and maybe even improved on. The
question is how easy it is to have software support for a custom radio
like SM2000 and how many people are willing to work on it.

Best regards and 73,
Adrian YO8RZZ