Hi Adrian,
Totally agree about the SDR hardware getting cheaper, a good case in point is
the limeSDR mini which has more than enough flexibility for any ham style
project.
https://www.crowdsupply.com/lime-micro/limesdr-mini#products-top

Couple that with a rock64 and you could have a great low cost repeater, only
downside to that approach is I doubt you'll get the power much below 10w of
which is more of a pain for solar sites than something which is a bit more low
level like the chipset below.

Another chipset that I've eyed as a cheap option for a handheld radio is the
SX1255, maybe some of you guys on here with more RF background could offer your
comments on that chipset. At like $7 for pretty much your entire RF transceiver
it may be a good option for 70cm.

http://www.semtech.com/images/datasheet/sx1255_datasheet.pdf

Regards,
Daniel VA7DRM