Hi Ross,

My initial GSM tests were done in the 70 cm band with low power (0.5
W). I recorded them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC3GH0vp-iQ

After that, as suggested by some local amateurs who are also part of
the regulations comittees here, I moved it in the 1.2 GHz band with
increased power. The frequency split in both cases being 5 Mhz. As a
client, I use a modified version of gr-gsm which supports transmission
(through the USRP SDR hardware). Osmo-trx will also somewhat work but
needs some patches to make it compatible as a GSM client. You can read
more about this subject on the OsmocomBB mailing list.

So yes, I am using a SDR frontend as a client. Some people have
figured out how to hack some old mobile phones to allow scanning and
camping out of band. Myself, I spent some time trying to
reverse-engineer Qualcomm hardware but gave up as too expensive in
man-hours.
Other YO hams are running LTE on the 2.3 GHz band also using open
source software and Chinese phones which have this LTE band. I'm not
that interested in LTE though because it requires a lot of computing
power and running a base station on a small Linux board is not
possible.

The way I see it, SDR hardware will continue to get smaller and
cheaper, maybe even hit a price point of $50. Might as well get
adjusted to that.

73,
Adrian YO8RZZ