> > So, are there any plans for next major release in near future?
>
> Yes, in autumn.
>
> > Will the ABI change other than hiding these internal functions?
>
> It will get a new major .so version (at least this was the concensus
> on this list, IIRC), but there won't be any major changes in the code
> itself, I think.

Pardon my ignorance; why are we changing the soname if the ABI are going
to be same?

The first version of LSB desktop module is being planned to be released
beginning of next year. Since LSB standardizes on the soname in addition
to ABI, we will have to make sure we do it for the proper version of
library (based on acceptance of it by multiple distros).