On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:05:58 +0100 (CET)
Werner LEMBERG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> In the regression test, I've found that FT_New_Face() in ftmac.c
>> does not return correct aface->num_faces.  [...]
>>
>> ...So, now I'm going to fix this, and I want to ask about binary
>> compatibility.
>
>Where's the problem with binary compatibility?  You are going to
>extend the functionality, not to change, aren't you?

Ah, excuse me, "binary compatibility" is wrong word. I wanted to
ask the compatibility from current "sfnt/LWFN driver" to future
"fbit/NFNT/sfnt/LWFN driver". Your reply about NFNT is enoughly
suggestive.

>> At present, fbit and NFNT bitmap resources are not supported by
>> FreeType, but I want to support it in future (I've ever written a
>> ruby script to parse it).  In my understanding, the usage of NFNT
>> bitmap is similar to the bitmap font in sfnt.
>
>Hmm, is it really just a `strike'?  Or is it more like a full-featured
>face, similar to the faces in WINFNT files?  Because of encoding
>issues I have changed the bitmap handling for this driver from strikes
>to faces.

Yes, thank you for pointing out! NFNT resources are separated
for each sizes, just aslike strike of sbit. Could I know more
about WINFNT encoding issue in ft-devel archive? I found a note
of moving from strikes to faces in docs/CHANGES freetype-2.1.4
to 2.1.5. My initial fix of ftmac.c will ignore the number of
NFNT resource.

Regards,
mpsuzuki