Not strictly true I think. Sure, Linux can't run without a PC but does that mean it can't exist without one? Linux started its existence in Torvalds' head before it appeared on a CPU and if all CPUs vanished tomorrow it would still exist in his and other experts heads.

Similarly, who says I can't have a mind without a body? Won't it carry on existing in the mind of the Intelligent Designer?

Robert

On 7/19/06, Carlos Gershenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Minds do not, in our common talk, have arms, legs, mouths, eyes, etc.,

Yes, but you cannot have a (human) mind without a body.

In a similar way, you cannot have e.g. Linux running without a PC,
and Linux doesn't have a CPU, HD, RAM, etc...

This has lead people to either aim at real world robotics as the only
way forward in AI, or at developing inside the computer complex
bodies and environments...

Best regards,

     Carlos Gershenson...
     Centrum Leo Apostel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
     Krijgskundestraat 33. B-1160 Brussels, Belgium
     http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~cgershen/

   "To know your limits you need to go beyond them"