Perhaps a starting point should be the "minds" of lower organisms such as the hydra where cells communicate with each other for some coordinated activity but without a central control.  Although that sounds machine-like, they still must adapt, reproduce with preservation of their genetic code and therefore have the inherent tendancy as a species to evolve.  Besides who can say they do not think and even have aspirations to become a fish one day.

Then consider replicating perhaps the nematode Caenorhabititis elegans that does have a simple nervous system with central control or brain.  (Do they aspire to be earthworms?).

Now that could raise the question what is the difference between a brain and having a mind.  Central control over autonomic reflex vs. planned or fore-thought and action.

Definitions of mind on the Web:

  • that which is responsible for one's thoughts and feelings; the seat of the faculty of reason; "his mind wandered"; "I couldn't get his words out of my head"
  • recall or remembrance; "it came to mind"
  • be offended or bothered by; take offense with, be bothered by; "I don't mind your behavior"
  • be concerned with or about something or somebody
  • judgment: an opinion formed by judging something; "he was reluctant to make his judgment known"; "she changed her mind"
  • thinker: an important intellectual; "the great minds of the 17th century"
  • take care: be in charge of or deal with; "She takes care of all the necessary arrangements"
  • attention; "don't pay him any mind"
  • heed: pay close attention to; give heed to; "Heed the advice of the old men"
  • your intention; what you intend to do; "he had in mind to see his old teacher"; "the idea of the game is to capture all the pieces"
  • beware: be on one's guard; be cautious or wary about; be alert to; "Beware of telephone salesmen"
  • knowledge and intellectual ability; "he reads to improve his mind"; "he has a keen intellect"
  • keep in mind
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
  • The mind is the term most commonly used to describe the higher functions of the human brain, particularly those of which humans are subjectively conscious, such as personality, thought, reason, memory, intelligence and emotion. Although other species of animals share some of these mental capacities, the term is usually used only in relation to humans. It is also used in relation to postulated supernatural beings to which human-like qualities are ascribed, as in the _expression_ "the mind of God."
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind

Lou