For some reason, I didn't receive this message from Nick.  Nor did I
receive Phil's last post.  I wonder what's going on... perhaps my server
was unavailable and the messages are frozen in the redfish.com spool?

Anyway, Russell's right.  I wouldn't recommend Mikulecky's site
until/unless you've read some of Rosen's works directly.  I also would
NOT recommend Rosen's daughter's website:

   http://www.rosen-enterprises.com/.

But, Tim Gwinn's site is pretty good:

   http://www.panmere.com/

Reading Rosen can be problematic.  So, you might want to start with
Tim's site and if anything seems interesting go directly to Rosen's
words, rather than what others say about his work.  That's because (in
my not so humble opinion) most Rosenites wildly misinterpret or
over-extrapolate what Rosen said to fit their own private world view.

If you're like me and you prefer original material, then I recommend his
book:  "Fundamentals of Measurement and Representation of Natural
Systems" first and foremost.  Then for a lighter meal, try his "Essays
on Life Itself", second.  And third, I'd recommend "Anticipatory
Systems".  If you get through all that, then you should be well equipped
to partially parse "Life Itself".

When I was in Santa Fe, the SFI library only had "Life Itself".  But
that book is a bit dense in Rosen's private vocabulary, which is why I
think there's so much ambiguity around what Rosen was trying to say.
(There also seems to be many people who _claim_ to understand what Rosen
was saying; but some deep poking often shows them to have only a vague
understanding, unfortunately.  For myself, I only understand a few of
the basic concepts and have over-extrapolated his work to fit my own
world view, which is more akin to non-well-founded set theory. ;-)

To jump to the point, though.  My misrepresentation of his work is that
he was doing 2 things:

1) building an argument that acyclic inference is inadequate for
representing certain systems (e.g. life), and

2) using category theory (or whatever else might work) as the jumping
off point for building a new body of math to handle cyclic inference.

This hypothetical body of new math would allow us to handle cause-effect
cycles (e.g. what Rosen calls "anticipation").  And in such cycles, we
can build systems where the end purpose _causes_ the beginning and
middle effects that then cause the cause, as it were.  That's why I
suggest that your call for a "hierarchy of relations that lead to
attributions of 'designedness'".

Russell Standish on 11/28/2007 02:10 PM:
> Try http://www3.vcu.edu/complex/
>
> However, you'll probably find it easier to borrow one of Rosen's books
> from the library and read that, rather than to try to understand what
> others make of him. It's sort of the reverse of David Bohm...
>
> Cheers
>
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 11:46:55AM -0700, Nicholas Thompson wrote:
>> Glen
>> ,
>>
>> Everybody but me seems to know what Robert Rosen work you are referring to.
>> If I apologize for being an ill-educated bounder, could you provide me with
>> a netref or two to work with?
>>
>> I apologize.
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> (if you give me the reference, will that be an instance of causality?)

- --
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to
fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer