[Note: widened from wedtech to include friam, see attached.]

>From /.: Advocacy Group Files FCC Complaint Over Verizon Tethering Ban
        http://goo.gl/ynL9A

I believe I now am in the same spot with android as with iphone: I will have to
at least jail break any phone I own, and heck, might as well unlock it while
I'm at it.

This surprises me.  Android was to be the hacker's delight, a Google "no evil"
phone that allows me to use it as I please.  Not a sissy iphone where Apple
rules my life and limits my options.

After yesterdays announcement of the iTunes cloud (where they store not only
your bought media in their cloud, but any CDs you rip and have in iTunes!!),
I'm rethinking just how free Google etc are over Apple.

I still plan to complete my conversion to gmail, and the Google ecology has
lots of advantages.  But Apple is gaining fast with everything (mail, contacts,
calendar, music, bookmarks, ...) in iCloud and accessible everywhere.

If this works, and that's a big IF, and if they can be cross-platform .. at
least windows if not linux/unix (a bigger IF!), Google will start to look like
a chaotic mess of non-integrated parts while Apple, once again, solves the
user's problem.
        http://daringfireball.net/2011/06/demoted

  -- Owen

On Jun 3, 2011, at 10:56 PM, Roger Critchlow wrote:

> The Vibrant came with tethering and wifi hotspot applications installed, but
> I haven't tried them.
>
> You want an unlocked phone, then buy a Nexus-S.  Consider it a $500 vote for
> the phone you want to use.  You want a subsidized phone, then be prepared to
> put up with all the crapware and attempts to control your usage that the
> manufacturers and carriers feel like trying out on you.
>
> -- rec --
>
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Owen Densmore <o...@backspaces.net> wrote:
> I thought android was "open" .. i.e. you could install just about anything
> you'd like.
>
> But I just read about tethering wifi, and the story had options from rooting
> the phone to fairly expensive (and dubious) "apps".
>
> So what's the deal here.  Is it "open"?  Or am I back to hacking my phone
> like I had to do with iPhone jailbrake/unlock?  Or is it somewhere in between.
>
> How many of us are tethering wifi nowadays?  Do the carriers care?
>
>       -- Owen

        -- Owen