This is more about the hardware manufacturer and the service provider,
not the operating system.  FWIW, Samsung is very friendly.  I have a
Motorola.  They're relatively neutral.  Verizon is not friendly.  Apple
is an enemy.  T-Mobile is neutral.  Cricket is friendly (so far).

I can't imagine anyone _not_ rooting their phone and replacing their
operating system at will.  It boggles my mind that so many tech savvy
people enslave themselves to a corporate cabal.