Forwarded to list at Owen's request...

Owen,
I'll meditate on a more thorough answer, but the quick one is:
Yes, psychology is "fragmented in the sense of having little or no
basis upon which psychologists agree." The original umbrella organization, the
American Psychological Association now has 56 Divisions! The
original idea was to create "Unity Through Division" (and a multi-volume
history of the APA is so titled), but it has not worked. Instead, it has only
lead to greater fragmentation. There is no framework nor even a set of core
phenomenon, core experiments, or core findings that holds things
together.

Eric

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 12:34 PM, Owen Densmore <o...@backspaces.net> wrote:

>Not a duplicate, at least for me, so I'm really glad you did resend!  And,
yes, that was exactly what I was looking for.  I had no idea that psychology
was, at least from the inside, fragmented as you describe.

>The unification theme is subtle: upon what "axis" does a multidimensional
system unify?

>I'm reading a wonderful book by Timothy Gowers, a Fields medalist
mathematician, who wrote The Princeton Companion to Mathematics.  (There is no
Nobel prize in mathematics: <http://goo.gl/mj7f>) He was concerned not about
how to unify mathematics, but show what that unified structure was.  It's not a
"math book" per se, but a series of ever-deeper plunges into the structure and
scope of the areas of mathematics, and how they overlap.

>It is a "companion" in that it claims no authority or completeness as an
encyclopedia might.  Rather it is a very human guide, with a point of view
(opinions) and gaps.  It was as much orchestrated by TG as written .. it had a
web-site with many commentators, and has several sections of the book written
by experts in particular areas.

>One is struck by the fact that even though there are many fields, this is not
considered fragmentation because they all accept certain fundamentals.

>Psychology is "fragmented" to we novices in that there are many fields.  And a
"Companion" would certainly be useful for us.  But is it fragmented in the
sense of having little or no basis upon which psychologists agree?

>        -- Owen
>

>Links:
>Gowers' home page <http://gowers.wordpress.com/>

>Polymath Project: <http://polymathprojects.org/> (Shows community process in