Glen,
You covered a lot of ground in this email, and I'm struggling to figure out how
to respond. I can't address everything, but I can make a few points.

A) The point of the analogy with the 'solveability' of computers was merely to
point out that people often assert there are big mysteries in sciences they do
not know very well. In some (but certainly not all) of those situations, people
embedded in that science insist NOT that the mystery has been 'solved', but
rather that the science has moved beyond dealing with the issue in a way that
is at all mysterious. Maybe I did not express the idea well enough, or maybe I
am off base with my understanding of computer science. Admittedly, I had only
one graduate-level theory of computation class, and that was quite a few years
ago. Perhaps Nick is correct that his inquiries about vortexes are a better
example. For many people vortexes remain a classic example of a 'natural
Mystery', for some so remain rainbows.

B) The best I muster to those who insist upon a 'mind-body problem' is NOT just
that the question is poorly posed, but that there is quite a bit of evidence to
against their being a problem. If you are arguing against induction, by
asserting that even an infinite array of evidence cannot justify the inductive
conclusion that 'all' mental processes are things that bodies do... well, you
win. But that is a shallow victory, and if it is applicable here, it is only
applicable to the same extent that arguments against induction are applicable
as a criticism of all science. Empirical psychologists, at least when they are
acting as such, are not interested in truth by definition, but in studying
identified phenomenon in a systematic manner.

C) I'm not sure what to do with your talk of 'qualia', nor what you mean when
you say I can make very few claims about 'the mind'. All I can say is that if
the subject matter as defined as being mysteriously-not-tractable, well, then
you will always see it as mysterious. Not to pick on your particular example
too much, but quite a few researchers in my area (the study of
perception-action linkages) focus narrowly on motor control and coordination of
locomotive behavior. I have never done such research. However, I have seen
SEVERAL talks measuring how perception of the world is affected by things like
hip injuries. Hip stability effects (yes, effects) what people see as a
climb-up-able step, what they see as a cross-able gap, their experience of
safety vs. danger, their feelings of comfort vs. anxiety, etc. All these ARE
changed by altering their hip. If 'seeing the stairs as dangerous' and 'feeling
anxious' are not examples of 'qualia', then I really have no clue what you are
asking me about.

D) We know a lot about brains and nervous systems and how they work. We are far
from knowing everything. We also know an awful lot about how the rest of the
body works. Again, we are far from knowing everything. However, to act like we
are still in the 1700's regarding our understanding of mind-brain relations is
just odd. When Descartes wrote, there was in fact a Mystery with a capitol 'M'.
Now, not so much. I suppose I must accept your criticism that this is a
statement of 'faith' on my part, it is. However, I do not see how it is more a
statement of faith than the one a physicist makes when he tells his class that
matter is made up of atoms. There are still things about the atomic structure
of materials that we don't understand, and the existence or non-existence of
atoms was also once a Big Question.

Eric

Well, needless to say, I completely disagree.  First, the analogy with

Eric Charles

Professional Student and
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Penn State University