Well atheism would only convey a negation of belief (in God) to me. My
religious model has no problem accommodating atheists, and contrawise
I have no problem with an atheist's belief model built around no-God
(or Gods or gods or GOD ...). As long as it functions its irrelevant
whether a car (or religion) runs on gasoline or horse-manure or hot
air.

My religion (loosely called "Adi Dharm") originally reduced the 330
million "gods" of Hinduism down to one ("Brahma" the absolute
reality). Having done that very successfully we were forced to go
underground in the previous century, and a not insignificant portion
of our adherents became "godless" Communists. Today we don't have a
conception of a God as a father / creator figure. Instead we conceive
God as "the" principle which regulates existence/ the uinivers/
multiverse/ parallel worlds or whatever. Deus is the "mechanism behind
the clock" and not the "clock maker". The issue is whether atheists
also acknowledge that there is a principle (or law . or set of laws)
which govern "their" universe.

I agree with Eric, newer generations are not interested in
philosophical systems any more or artificial religious categories.
There are too many other things going on in their lives.