I figured out the google drive vs g+ plan.  It turns out they are
integrated, a good thing I think.  I was concerned it was yet another half
baked stunt but this seems pretty well managed.

   -- Owen

torage plan pricing

Learn about your options for purchasing more storage for Google Drive,
Google+ Photos, and Gmail.

Store up to 5 GB between Google Drive and Google+ Photos, then pay for
additional storage as your account grows. Here's how it works:

   - Tap into your free storage as soon as you start using Google Drive
   and G+ Photos.
   - Purchase additional storage that can be shared across Google Drive and
   G+ Photos. When you purchase additional storage, your Gmail storage limit
   will automatically be increased to 25 GB.