Russ,

I think Bruce was using the traditional photon explanation (particles, or
particle/waves as primitives) as a setup to introduce the more novel
approach of treating fields as primitives.

This is more appealing to me and tends to be how we write agent-based
models that scale. In fact, one of my rants is that ABM might be better
named interaction-based modeling as the models tend to focus on the
interactions and not the properties of agents (particles). As one scales up
the populations and interactive forces, we tend to convert the interactions
to local moving fields (eg pheromone fields around ants, quadtrees in
flocking to reduce n^2 interactions to NLogN, etc).