From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of glen
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 6:24 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] speculative Q

I'd (probably wrongly) interpreted Marcus' comment to mean something about
keeping the corporate drones (who can't imagine doing work for anything other
than incentive) away from people who have the knowledge to create weapons of
mass destruction, particularly biological weapons ... hence, the article about
DIYBio myths.  It was a little bit of agreement with a little bit of
disagreement combined.

BTW-FWIW, since we're talking about motivation vs. incentive, I just saw this
in my inbox:

   The Ethics of Whistleblowing with Edward Snowden
   http://www.philosophytalk.org/shows/ethics-whistleblowing-edward-snowden

> John: A lot of people see you as a hero.  But others, intelligent ones too,
> have called you a narcissistic traitor ... How do you see yourself at this
> point?
>
> Snowden: I don't think about myself.  I don't think about how I'm going to be
> perceived, because it's not about me.  It's about us.

This is the type of thing that makes me think Snowden is, at least,
disingenuous, if not worse.  He's clearly not afflicted with any of the major
psych disorders that prevent him from reflective thought.  Hence, he _does_
think about himself and how he'll be perceived.  If he'd just answer the damned
question honestly ... like "Hell yeah, I think about myself and how I'm
perceived!  I think about how my fellow US citizens view me.  I think about
how/whether they want to know the information I leaked, whether a jury of my
peers would convict me if presented with the evidence ... " Etc.  If he'd
answer that way, I might start to trust him.  Instead he answers with this
pseudo-altrustic nonsense, public-relations/politician-speak.  Ugh.

--
⇔ glen

--
⇔ glen