I suspect that aspirations are, like most ideological constructs, less causal
than we think they are.  Going back to what Marcus actually meant, it seems to
me that (most) humans are so ultimately/fundamentally social, that all they
_ever_ do is seek out community just for the comfort of being in the community
... that those of us who look for, or form, or switch amongst, communities in
order to achieve various objectives are somehow psychopaths ... or narcissists,
abusers or exploiters.

In that same vein, these articles caught my eye:
http://www.girlfriendcircles.com/blog/index.php/2013/08/not-a-joiner-club-class-meet-people-make-friends/
http://www.salon.com/2015/07/11/addiction_is_not_a_disease_how_aa_and_12_step_programs_erect_barriers_while_attempting_to_relieve_suffering/
http://www.overcomingbias.com/2013/10/joiners-v-middlers.html

The last one, in particular, seems to imply that those who are most likely to
think a community really has a mission (as opposed to the illusion of a
mission) are the most extreme of the bunch, the hard-liners, the obnoxious
ones.  Everyone else just kinda buys into it (or the illusion of it) and goes
about socializing.  With AA, perhaps what happens is that most people just join
the community to burn time and socialize _until_ they spontaneously mature out
of their habit (the extremes become evangelicals or have lots of lapses).  As
such, perhaps rather than people voting according to their aspirations, they
just vote according to whatever forcing structures their embedding social
system tells them to vote for.

I hope I'm wrong and you're right, because this would make me a psychopath,
narcissist, abuser, exploiter, et al, concept with which I don't really want to
identify. 8^)