Hi Glen,

It took me a while to find where I read that argument.  But, as it turns
out, the argument was recounted by John Horgan in his *The End of
Science *(1996)
the first paragraph at the top of page 47 in the chapter titled "The End of
Philosophy."  There, Horgan was recounting the argument put forth by
philosopher Paul Feyerabend who wrote in his *Against Method* [p 295]:

“The separation of state and church must be complemented by the separation
> of state and science, that most recent, most aggressive, and most dogmatic
> religious institution.”

Horgan writes:

Feyerabend also objected to the claim that science is superior to other
> modes of knowledge.  He was particularly enraged at the tendency of Western
> states to foist the products of science--whether the theory of evolution,
> nuclear power plants, or gigantic particle accelerators--on people against
> their will.  "There is separation between state and church," he complained,
> "but none between state and church.

Paul Feyerabend has been called the worst enemy of science by a 1987 *Nature
*essay <http://Paul Feyerabend, called the worst enemy of science by a 1987
Nature essay.>.  Maybe this is just one reason among many
<https://www.quora.com/Is-it-common-among-scientists-to-scorn-philosophy>
why it is perceived that scientists--especially physicists--dislike
philosophers.  But no public funding for science research?!  What's not to
like?  🤔

Robert