This is just kicking a dead scorpion ... 😁  Thanks Glen for the
follow-up.  The whole curfuffle brings critical thinking to the forefront,
and that ain't bad.  To me, skepticism is a science-oriented version of
mindfulness--being mindful of misgrounded or ungrounded, inculcated
beliefs.  Yes, it does seem that Horgan was careless here and got caught in
his own trap.  The pack turned on this lone wolf.  I'll have to check out
this tNESS.

As my profession was in operations research, I have been a frequenter to
the Informs publications.  The article on intellectual distance looks
intriguing.  Curious finding. Thanks!

Have you read Averill Law's *Simulation Modeling and Analysis*?  Makes a
good reference too.  Cheers.