I often like *Counterpunch *for their opinion.  And they make an
excellent point here
<http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/09/28/debate-nights-biggest-lie-was-told-by-lester-holt/>,
as you say, Glen.

My contention for who should be in the presidential debates is that perhaps
notwithstanding the *FiveThirtyEight *simulation results, any candidate on
ballots in *enough *states--where it is possible for them to accrue 270
electoral votes--should be included in the presidential debates.  So under
this criterion, I would argue for the inclusion of both Gary Johnson and
Jill Stein.  If they are not in those debates, it is argued that it is
near-impossible for them to win much in the Electoral College.

Now, Nate Silver makes a different argument for an event with
non-zero probability, but one that would involve Congress making the final
choice.  I mean forget for a moment what success any third-party candidate
may have in the Electoral College, this
"not-getting-to-270-by-any-candidate" scenario  is much more likely given
the way the polls are showing an inexplicable near dead heat between the
two major-party candidates. Of course, this would require a good showing by
the third-party candidates in the Electoral College.

Now, under this "possible" scenario, any other third-party candidate would
have to be considered if they win any state; that is if I understand the
rules for this heretofore unprecedented event. So, if this is so, what if a
third-party candidate can win at least one state? And, this possibility
becomes more plausible for a third-party candidate, the more states that
have them on their ballot.  I am, of course, ruling out the effect of the
corporate-controlled media bias for shirking their role of informing the
electorate that there are more than two candidates for consideration and
the strength of the two-party hegemony in this country.  And, I won't get
into the idea of developing an *epistocracy *to replace all of this, but
it's a good discussion to be had ... 😎

According to *Merriam-Webster*, plausible means "appearing worthy of
belief ."  Maybe this year many things that didn't seem credible in the
past could be worthy of our belief this cycle.  I mean, how credible is it
that Donald Trump would have become the GOP's champion candidate for
POTUS?  Everything seems upside-down this time.  Yes?