Right.  It's not quite right to suggest that switching codes is bimodal or
bivalent.  I think it's more of a spectrum, at least in an informal sense.  If
we were talking about a person trying to communicate a complex idea in a
non-native language then switching to their native language, that would be more
bimodal.  But I'm talking more about, eg, realizing in the middle of a
conversation that you're talking to a crypto-fascist who puts up a good veneer
at first, then reveals their fascism over the course of the conversation.  When
I realize it, I switch, either to something that will completely alienate the
person, or to language that makes me sound more like a fascist, depending on
how I feel at the time.

Marcus' idea of a an interpreter vs. languages closer to the bare metal is, I
think, akin to Nick's idea of imaginary vs. factual.  And the gist is solid.
There's a very high overhead interpreting through many layers of abstraction or
entertaining imaginary worlds through the suspension of disbelief.  It's a
luxury we can't always afford.  But both assume there exists a bare metal.  I'm
a constructivist, for the most part, and believe all our languages are
interpreted and there really is no such thing as a natural, close to the metal,
machine code.  There are no linguistic or cognitive facts, only action facts.
And this may be closer to what you're trying to say, because that means that we
are always interacting through an interpreter, albeit sometimes many layers out
vs. only a few layers out.

--
␦glen?