Glen☣

Yours is a characteristically adroit yet confrontational argument and I don't know that it is my place (or ability) address it completely, but would like to try to add some context that I hope will help:

A) Are /Truth/ and /Social Justice/ in any way different?

   I think they are categorically different... they represent different
   goals and values.   This is not to say that they are fundamentally
   incompatible, however.  I *think* your argument implies that you
   believe that they are very compatible, possibly to the point that
   the pursuit of truth serves social justice, or in the strong "they
are no different" case, that social justice *also* serves truth. My own belief is that the pursuit of truth should be bounded by
   reasonable merits of social justice and that social justice should
   be grounded in truth.   I *think* this is different than saying that
   they are no different from one another.

B) Apparent conflicts we have seen are (or not) between /Truth/ and /Social Justice./

   I agree that this judgement might be too glib and convenient for
some agendas that I'm not clear on, which might be at work. Perhaps /Truth/ and /Social Justice/ ARE intimately and
   fundamentally compatible.  On the surface I would *like* them to be,
   but have to admit that such an assertion deserves more inspection
   and support.   I suspect that many incompatibilities/conflicts
   between them in practice could turn out to be the result of early
   termination of lazy evaluation.  I also suspect that in practice,
   many of us are prone to making this error conveniently in situations
   that support one of our less openly acknowledged agendas.

   Trying to make them identical seems to confront what I apprehend to
   be a fundamental truth about Truth and that is that in it is
   nominally absolute, it is not relative while Social Justice is
   fundamentally relative to the "Social System" or "Ideals" we are
   trying to provide justice for or around?

C) This alleged conflict is somehow more critical than others which ...

   I think the discussion emerges from decades of their appearing to
   have been such a conflict, especially in the domain of education.  I
   am in the throes of reading Nick Simonds (kewl name) Thompson's
   now-vintage essay on the topic of pluralism in education and suspect
   it offers some useful grist for this particular mill.   I feel
   sheepish that I'm not digging yet deeper into this (nor the Clark
   Kerr work that Nick references)...

- Steve