Glen writes:

<<Consider the idea that social justice (equality and equality of opportunity
for all) is the most _powerful_ way to, or the most efficient path toward, a
maximimally effective biosphere.  Every person (or plant or animal) that dies
is a loss of power, a loss of productivity.  Every poor or underprivileged
person hyper-constrained by their environment results in suboptimal world.
Now, consider the idea that truth is two-fold: a) understanding the world well
enough to b) effectively control the world.>>

Many hands make light work.   Due to coordination overheads, however, if there
are too many hands then more work is needed.   (Or rather, it doesn't matter of
individuals are excluded from a group if the group's work is easy.)   If there
aren't immediate resource constraints, and energy barriers to escaping a local
minima seem high or are hard to estimate (or imagine), keeping underprivileged
individuals out of a group is, from some perspectives, rational.    If we
assume that there will be a distribution of productivities for each person
adding to the group, how does the group estimate how at what rate to tolerate
low productivity vs. high productivity additions to the group?    For an
average member of a group (or the whole group) how do existing group members
prevent potentially more productive candidates from displacing them?

Sure, one could make a simulation of all this, or apply game theory.    I don't
think that gets at a fundamental question which is why should any selfish agent
care if the biosphere is effective?   The environment just needs to not to
completely collapse and of course those global environmental questions are too
big for most agents to address by themselves.   Perhaps there is really nothing
to know -- just vote, fight, compete, etc. as appropriate for prevailing social
(dis)order.

Even given the goal of omniscience and omnipotence and an ever-increasing
ambition for harder problems,  it still isn't clear that every agent is useful.
 Some agents may consume more resources than they contribute.    Or just from a
light cone type of argument it can cost more to send a message, do a
calculation, and return a result,  than doing it within a smaller network.
From the pro- social justice perspective, one might argue that it is just too
difficult to anticipate what constitutes `fit' behavior, so everyone must be
supported.    On the other hand there sure seems to be a lot of similar
individuals in the population.  In this `global' view,  it seems some coherent
(but arbitrary) vision is needed to identify which hard problems to tackle and
how to combine resources to do it.   Coherent visions tend to come from
individuals or small groups.

Marcus