From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of u?l? ?
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 2:16 PM
To: FriAM <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] the pseudoscience of evolutionary psychology?

On 02/20/2018 12:26 PM, Steven A Smith wrote:
> I doubt that Nick nor I believe that *every* thought is traceable back
> to some prehistoric evolutionary trait".

8^)  I know.  I'm just trolling you.  But the bait I'm trying to use is
important.

> Female "display" is the one I identified here.   And it *definitely*
> doesn't rule out precisely what you say in the next paragraph being at
> work as well.  I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

Right, which is why this is in the sub-thread started by Frank.  Artificial
discretization seems rampant.  Why would we talk about things like "female
display" or "alpha male" when there are MUCH more obvious things to talk about
like oxytocin and dopamine?  As Dave points out, why would we talk about
evopsych when we can talk about biology?

Feelings of belonging, love, and satisfaction can come from playing blackjack
*or* coddling one's baby.  Women might show their arms because all the
designers make clothing that bares arms *or* because they want to be
provocative or both or for other reasons.  Why do we feel the need to trace one
motivation to biology (and a phylogenetic tree) but not the other?

--
☣ uǝlƃ