Glen writes:

"If some action will be required *anyway*, common to a wide array of potential
actions and consequences, then do that."

Another form would be "I'm lost, so I'll follow another car."
These kinds of damage-limiting default actions (when actions are *required*)
need not be paralyzing and failing to take them when forced involves some other
explanation, like a malfunction or lack of awareness of the available default
actions, i.e. lack of awareness of the general properties of the current
environment.

Marcus