From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of u?l? ?
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 11:50 AM
To: FriAM <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] What's so bad about Scientism?

This brings to mind the dimensionality of the space of possible actions.  I
don't play the Trolley Game Nick wants to play because the space is absurdly,
artificially small ... presented by sophists who care little about the real
world.  The real world (usually) presents a very high dimensional space of
possible actions.  And those actions are (usually) not atomic, but composite.
So, when presented with a situation where computing the likely first-order
consequences is too expensive, rather than wait it out, one can chop up the
potential (composite) actions into their first-executed action-lets, then sense
and go again.  Or, perhaps if you've done the pre-processing, you can take the
action-lets that have been identified as "critical path".  If some action will
be required *anyway*, common to a wide array of potential actions and
consequences, then do that.

This sort of agility is more common than pure rationalists/analyists/idealists
would have us believe.

--
☣ uǝlƃ