On 3 April 2014 04:31, Ralf Hemmecke <r...@hemmecke.org> wrote:
> On 04/03/2014 09:33 AM, Martin Baker wrote:
>> I think it needs something very very simple which requires no new
>> learning, i.e. it can be done with a WYSIWYG editor. Then document
>> standards need to be enforced.
>
> Looks like you are opting for the TeXmacs interface.
>
> Personally, I see the power of TeXmacs, but I'm somehow not such a
> big fan of it. Each time I start using it, it feels unnatural to me.

The BIG advantage of TeXmacs is that it represents another open source
user community with it's own developers many of whom are also CAS
users.  By choosing TeXmacs we have a chance to co-op some of these
resources for FriCAS.

Yes, TeXmacs used to "feel unnatural" to me also but then so does the
efricas interface because emacs is not my primary editor. Any tool
like this takes some getting used to. When arguing for TeXmacs in
another email chain Andre Grozin said almost the same thing about his
reaction to using a browser-based interface (he is just somehow not a
big fan of it), yet both Sage and IPython have a large base of users
and developers who are interested in CAS. We already have a fairly
usable FriCAS interface in Sage but unfortunately we have not been
very successful at co-oping any developer resources from the Sage
project. The problem perhaps is that Sage itself competes too directly
with the functionality provided by FriCAS.  IPython might be another
story.

> I'd rather like to translate the .htex files into ReStructuredText and
> then use Sphinx to render nice webpages out of it.
>
> There is still the aspect of the dynamic part of HyperDoc, i.e. asking
> for the category exports etc. etc. But it's only a small part of newly
> user-defined domains that one would lose. The other stuff can be
> staticly documented from the ++ docstrings.

It seems to me that this approach is too low level but documentation
is all forms is desirable. User interface is another matter.  What you
call the "dynamic part of HyperDoc" is an important part of this user
interface.  When using FriCAS one needs quick access to a large
database of meta information about the FriCAS library.  In fact
usually when I use HyperDoc it is just for the purpose of using
Browse.

Now when I am using TeXmacs as my FriCAS user interface what I miss
most is this access to HyperDoc Browse.  I am thinking about ways of
incorporating this into TeXmacs.  It should be possible in TeXmacs to
directly access the FriCAS database (daase files) and present this
information in a series of menus quickly accessible by right-mouse
clicks in the context of a FriCAS session.