AFAICS several patches make code more complicated, I am not
shure if we want such changes.  In particular, while in
Factored exponents should be nonnegative it make perfect
mathematical sense to also have negative exponents.
To make things more clean we could have a separete domain
allowing negative exponents and Factored could inherit
from this domain most of its operations.  That just a thought,
but it seems that disallowing negative exponents in
implementations leads to more complicated code.

Also changing recursion to loops seem to complicated code.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch