I wanted to see if I can make Fricas read definition of function  from
$HOME/.fricas.input

But it does not seem to be reading this file at all. How does one know it
is reading the file or not?

I never used this file before.  I did the following

>cat $HOME/.fricas.input
erfc(x) == 1 - erf(x)

Now started Fricas
======================
>fricas

Checking for foreign routines
AXIOM="/usr/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu"
spad-lib="/usr/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libspad.so"
foreign routines found
openServer result 0
                       FriCAS Computer Algebra System
                            Version: FriCAS 1.3.4

(1) -> integrate(erfc(x),x)
   There are no library operations named erfc
=======================

I am trying to see if this file can be automatically read, when sagemath
calls fricas. But
I can't even get it read by using Fricas directly as the above.

I do not know how to tell Sagemath to tell Fricas to use this definition
either. I do not
know what the syntax will be if possible.

I entered a bug against Sagemath for this translation issue as
well. https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/25991

I also tried .axiom.input, but it also had no effect. The definition of
erfc() is not seen.

What Am I doing wrong? This is on Linux.

Thanks
--Nasser