I am now using fricas built from git master today

(1) -> )version
Value = "FriCAS 2020-04-23 compiled at Thu Oct 22 20:23:50 EDT 2020"

I also tried fricas with the -rl option as suggested by Ralf.  After
installing the rlwrap program

wspage@desktop:~$ rlwrap --version
rlwrap 0.43

$ fricas -rl

worked perfectly for me - including command line editing with Greek characters.

I am running Linux Mint 18.3 on my desktop.

You might want to check the locale setting on your computer. I have

$ wspage@desktop:~$ locale
LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_CA:en
LC_CTYPE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

You should probably have something similar regarding UTF-8 but
probably different language.

Bill.