Hello Tobias,
Thanks a lot for your reply. Apologies for the delay in response.
'*Are you sure that Mathematica gives you 300 digits precision
(PrecisionGoal), and doesn't just require 300 digits working precision
(WorkingPrecision)? Do you need 300 digits precision? *' -- the relevant
part of the Mathematica notebook says *{$MaxExtraPrecision, prec} = {500,
40} ,  *not sure whether this is the actual precision or the 'working
precision' as this is the first time I'm handling such involved numerical
calculations.

Great idea about digging deeper into how Mathematica itself is dealing with
the problem  (I guess you meant Gnu Scientific ilbrary by GSL, this also
looks like a cool package . ) - this is a generic approach which I could
then use to test how the same algorithm implemented in another package
performs.

best,
Thejasvi