On 19.04.2021 21:26, Waldek Hebisch wrote:

> Mainly the second, INSTALL should be readable as plain text.
> It is OK to have marked up version as master source.  Some
> markup formats can produce decent looking plain text versions
> (IIUC sphinx is supposed to produce text version, but ATM
> this does not work for me so in particular I can not see
> if this is good enough).  Another issue is dependency. .rst
> is claimend to be ligtweight, but supporting programs are
> rather large...

That's true, however, there are a lot of little helpers around, e.g.

Emacs Support for reStructuredText
https://docutils.sourceforge.io/docs/user/emacs.html

https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html

This (usually) provides good results:

pandoc --from=rst --to=plain filename.rst

OTOH --from=plain --to=rst is not always what you'll expect.