Arthur,

No matter how much the EU politicians stick up for the euro you can be certain that all the countries concerned have detailed plans for going back to their own currencies -- and almost overnight, too -- if necessary. I've just returned from a holiday in France and I asked one or two about whether they liked the euro or the franc. I got the impression that they'd like to have their own franc back. I would say it's almost certain that Italy will drop out of the euro within a few years. It's getting so deeply into debt and its state pension commitments are far more than it can afford that getting abkc to the lira and then inflating it is about their only way out of trouble (as well as helping their failing exports).

Keith