Third World culture, generally, seems to take life more thoughtfully than do
Industrialized/Western culture. Real issues seem to be more thoughtfully
discussed and attended to. In comparison, Western culture seems too
commercial, materialist, and comsumerist. We too easily accept hype,
self-promotion, deceit and immodesty.

I am also finding that I like 3rd world music better than American pop.

Western people don't seem to know how much wealth is enough, so they are on
a continuous treadmill toward acquiring 'more.'  It may be that people in
the 3rd world will end up like this, too, as they become more wealthy, but I
hope not.  In any case, regardless of whether this happens in the future, in
the 3rd world as it is now I can find values that are more similar to my own
that those of the West.

Of course, this is all general.  There are many exceptions in both worlds to
these generalities.

One of the hopeful signs is that there are individuals in both cultures who
share a growing appreciation for the problems intrinsic to Western culture,
and who are actively searching for alternatives.  I would like to be among
them.

Cheers,
Lawry