Oh, dear. I got the exact opposite impression about Tuchman's mirror
when I read that book.  I thought the  1300s were a time of coming
out of a stagnant social order  into the modern age, with a kick from
the black death.

What happened  with  the famines and epidemics was that Europe's
peasant population suddenly declined. Yet the lords still expected
the same incomes as before. The Great Peasant revolt in France was
viciously put down by the knights, but they could not get the
peasants back on the estates.  The lords  had to start offering
rented land at reasonable rates to get anybody to work the land.

The age of Serfdom ended. It had begun  eight centuries previously
when the conquering Franks  set up a military government  after
destroying the Gallo-Roman kingdom that existed for a short while
after  the  fall of the western Roman empire.  They  made the Gallo-
Romans serfs.

Far from the church developing more authority in this time, its power
collapsed. This was the time of the great schism, when  there were
two, sometimes three popes around, all claiming to be the real pope.

I get puzzled about somebody who thinks these medieval monks like
Abelard and Anselm were examples of enlightened thinking. The idea of
'reason' has been the biggest problem with western civilization down
to the present.

In the present, we are also struggling to come out of an outmoded
form of social organization and those who benefit from this
organization are resisting fiercely. But they are steadily losing
authority. Good sense  eventually overcomes rationalism, but it
usually takes a disaster like the black death, or  an environmental
collapse.

Rationalists are people who can not get it that there  is no such
thing as 'objectivity'.  Everyone's thought is   conditioned by
experience and what they have been told and believed are 'laws of
nature'. Good sense is the  innate human ability  to get outside of
self and preconditioned thinking , and ask what is actually
happening. Education is mostly about neutralizing this ability and
conditioning people to think in  the 'rational' framework  hammered
into them.

When people who have been taught to be 'reasonable' encounter
something that contradicts 'reason' they cannot understand it and
think  some 'forces of darkness' are gathering.

Actually,  the forces of good sense and  peacefulness are gathering.
The dark forces that  have  prevailed are now frantically trying to
make everything 'rational' again.

tr