Since my job has just been "terminated", perhaps I can catch up on
the discussion here.
I'm pasting a posting from the Community Gardens list, wherein one
person is suggesting that we appeal to Bill Moyers to provide a
public forum for electoral candidates to speak to the issue of urban
farming, food security, etc.
Us peasants are indeed a-rising.
mary
-----------
Sweet Red Cherry Tomatoes From Your Harambee CSA Garden

Have you ever wished to venture forth beyond
Your primal ancestral circles
And see what's up in the village
Across the river from your own?

Have you ever longed for sweet red cherry tomatoes
So fresh and juicy the old world
Protestant or Catholic in you worries that
Eating them might be some kind of carnal sin?

Have you ever felt the joy of sacred fatigue
At the end of a workout in rich soil
Hands in the dirt, good sweat, and
Joyous work laughter moments with friends?

Have you ever imagined thatÖ

Your nation gave rise to a movement
With other nations you are learning to love,

With an eye, strong body, and heart
Fixed on the prize of
Ten thousand backyard city farms.

With 4 chickens (no rooster) each
(Roosters visit from the early rising towns)

Eyes on the prize ofÖ

Ten Thousand community farms and gardens,
In old industrial city neighborhoods,

Transforming themselves into

Planetary villages of grace, beauty, and health?

And the nation chose a leader
Who could understand all this!

Olde
Too Much Snow and Rain to Roof 2008

P.S.  Please consider sending the above folk poetry or any statement to Bill
Moyers, who has the capacity to help us win a place in the presidential race
for the cause of local, organic, urban, community, and schoolyard farms and
gardens, n'est-ce pas?
"Bill Moyers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
----------------

>The thing is,  when societies start to fall apart because of the
>greed and  idiocy of  an elite,  it goes one of two ways. Either it
>collapses into a dark age, or  else the rulers are overcome and  you
>have an age of peace and freedom.
>
>This is what is going to  be decided over the next 50 or so years. It
>looks pretty good  that the latter will happen, because the underdogs
>all over the world are developing pretty good leadership and  are
>sensible about  what they are trying to achieve. This is  what
>usually leads to success for  peasant and slave revolts.

>But enough of my ramblings.  My aim is to demonstrate that there is
>no reason to be pessimistic that  the species cannot get through the
>present crisis and achieve a better way of life for  all the world's
>people.

tr