It is a long time since I read Tuchman.  I have her on my shelves and should
look again.  However, in general, the 14th Century brought a close to a warm
spell that lasted some four centuries and in which, in Europe, population
grew and agriculture was greatly expanded, many great cathedrals were built
and the Norse were able to settle Greenland.  During this period, the Church
initially encouraged freedom of thought, but when that freedom began to
threaten its power, the lid was slammed down.  The impact of Abelard, who
was a teacher but not, I believe, a monk and other thinkers of the time was
so large that the period during which they lived, thought and taught, the
11th and 12 Centuries, is referred to as the 12th Century Enlightenment.

The period came to an end at the beginning of the 14th Century, when a cold
spell sometimes referred to as "the little ice age" began.  Crop failures
led to mass famine in about 1315 and many times thereafter.  The Black Death
in which one-third to one-half of the population of Europe died occurred in
mid-century and recurred several times thereafter, eg. London in 1665.
Peasant rebellions occurred -- eg. the Jacquerie in France in 1358, the
English Peasants Revolt in 1381, and the German Peasants Revolt in 1525 --
but not very much changed because of them.  The lot of peasants did improve
because disease and famine led to shortages of labour, but peasantry even as
free labour was not an easy life.  I would argue that, for the common
people, there really wasn't much of an improvement in living standards until
the latter part of the 19th Century and it wasn't really until the early
part of the 20th Century that really big improvements came with
democratization and unionization.

Where we go from where we are now is difficult to say.  I would argue that
there is already considerable evidence that, with excessive population and
dwindling resources, we can not go on as we are.  There will be change and
it won't be pleasant.

Ed