Arthur,

Perhaps economists should restrict themselves to a very few self evident
assumptions. Perhaps too, in their basic thinking - on which all else
depends - they should be very careful to be precise in their terminology.

They should check their hypotheses with tests and observations.

And they should remember that markets are no more perfect than other human
activities. They exist as a way for us to increase our well being. Rather
like the introduction of machines, the discovery of new production
techniques and the like.

When our well being doesn't improve, it can be expected that we join the
Luddites in attacking these worthwhile advances, for the science that
should be expected to understand these things fails us miserably.

Harry

Harry Pollard
Henry George School of LA
Box 655