Le Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:46:21 +0200,
Thomas Funk <t.funk...@googlemail.com> a écrit :

> 2013/6/18 Dominique Michel <dominique.mic...@vtxnet.ch>
>
> > > Gentoo is a source based distribution. That imply portage doesn't
> > > need tarballs and can also install directly from a code
> > > repository.
> > >
> > > I made the ebuild it was several months ago, but the ebuild
> > > download the code from the CVS at its first call, and update it
> > > with the last code from the CVS with each subsequent call. This
> > > is the point of a live ebuild:
> > >    - to install a program from its source code repository with the
> > > last version of the code.
> > >
> > > It is scripts in portage for that, called eclass. They can be used
> > > used by the ebuilds for cvs, git, svn, ..., any kind of
> > > repository.
> > >
> > > In an overlay like the pro-audio one (the equivalent of multiple
> > > repositories with the binary based distributions - in gentoo this
> > > is just an ebuild (scripts) collection), it is a lot of such live
> > > ebuilds, and the only issue we get with them is, sometime we must
> > > update them when upstream change their build system or the
> > > dependencies.
> > >
> > > I am sure I have the last code. Last time I ran it for fwvm, I see
> > > that portage downloaded the last files committed to the CVS. They
> > > was your last patches from this thread.
> >
> Ah, ok I understand. I haven't used Gentoo anytime.

I think this portage feature is one of the reasons why many gentoo users
are developers. The first time install is very time consuming, but
after, you get a continuous update process, and will never need to
reinstall the whole distribution, that even with a many years old
installation.

> > > I get the same menus than in NightShade. That confirm this is an
> > > upstream issue and that some distributions improve these menus,
> > > and others not.
> > >
> > > And it is more, a lot of applications are missing. I guess this
> > > is why kde provide an utility to find and add them into its menu.
> > >
> > > As example, I didn't get alsaplayer in any of these menus, when
> > > alsaplayer do provide, and install, a compliant alsaplayer.desktop
> > > file.
> >

> > I just see it is not installed. I must search why.
> >
> > > In consequence, the whole xdg menu thing is completely broken
> > > from the root, it have always been, and this have nothing to do
> > > with fvwm-menu-desktop.
> >
> > Well, the additional categories are broken. And this is mess.
> >
> Yes, if it so, then it is a big mess :(

It is the main reason why I begun to use Fvwm-Crystal it was a few
years ago. To made its menu system to be FreeDesktop compliant,
inclusive the additional categories, was one of the first things I made.

It doesn't care about the files into /etc/xdg/menus, but use directly
the desktop files, that to add only the missing menu entries and icons
into Fvwm-Crystal applications database. Which can be tailored
independently by the user.

> Btw. you have listed in a last mail your menu files:
> $ ls -R /etc/xdg/menus
> /etc/xdg/menus:
> applications-merged      kde-information.menu
> xfce-applications.menu gnome-applications.menu
> lxde-applications.menu        xfce-settings-manager.menu
> kde-4-applications.menu  lxlauncher-applications.menu
>
> Did you have activated all checkboxes in fvwm-menu-desktop-config.fpl?
> Sometimes you find sub menus in menus where you haven't think about.

Yes, but I don't get the additional categories in any of them.
I can send you these files, or to the list, if someone want to look at
the differences.

Ciao,
Dominique

--