On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 12:58:14AM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> Ah.  Technically, the branch is probably as good as it will get.
> Any changed to the "stdint.h" branch can easily be backported, but
> that may not be necessary.
>
> However, if we agree on this becoming the "long time stable"
> version we'll need something on the web page that explains:
>
>  * What this release is and what future work it will receive
>    (maintenance but no new features).
>  * Where information about version 2 and version 3 is found.
>  * What the plans for version 3 are.
>
> We'll also need similar information for the mailing lists.  When
> we publish the release it must be clear that "that's it" and
> development of version 2 is finally over (unless steps up to take
> over the project).

Yes.

> Also, a first "very unstable" development release should already
> be in place so that people who are interested in the new work can
> download and try it and don't have to use git.

You can always point people here:

https://github.com/fvwmorg/fvwm/archive/master.zip

(Or any repo name) -- which will download HEAD of master.  No git needed.
Interestingly though, I just don't think that's as big a problem as you think
it is.

> Just thinking of it, once the version split is done, it must be
> possible to install version 2 and version 3 in parallel.  It is
> really possible at the moment?  A couple of days ago I've noticed
> that each "make install" just overwrites the files in
> $prefix/share.  Does the --program-suffix configure option work?
> Maybe we should make "--program-suffix=-3" the default for now?
> And we need to tell people how to install both versions in
> parallel.

It's not possible, no.  Plus, have you seen configure.ac lately?  It's a
bloody mess.  I don't think you'll have to worry about paralell
installs---if/when/maybe fvwm3 starts, we'll fix it there in a different way.

Kindly,
Thomas