On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 02:43:13AM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> Why on earth do we have to repeat the mistake of the past by
> putting the version number in the project name *again*?  Every
> other project manages backwards incompatible releases just fine,
> only fvwm changes its name with each major release.  This just
> complicates things, and helps nobody.  That's what configure's
> binary suffix is for.

So what would you rather, and to what extent should this happen?  If you don't
have the time to do the work, at least have the courtesy to say so and provide
a list of things you want, and it'll get done.  But to keep going silent for a
while, coming back, and then bemoaning the state of things because you weren't
around, and/or didn't get asked, and/or things werent done how you would have
wanted, isn't how projects are run, or indeed, *will not* be run for as long
as I am involved with them.

> fvwm yet again.  And I've got to rewrite it *again*, manage two
> different configs and fiddle with two repos in parallel, just to
> be able to install two versions in parallel, which is already
> possible (and if not, this needs to be fixed anyway).

It's all a little bit "moan, moan, moan" coming from you, with there being
little evidence of anything actually wrong, other than you don't like
something.  So far, I've been kind.  So far, I've been courteous and polite in
helping you and explaining all that I can.  But I cannot work with just that
alone, Dominik.  I can't help *you* or give assistance when the rhetoric
you're throwing out is intangible.  I've just _told_ you how you can
accomplish certain tasks.  If you actually have something sensible which you
need help with, then by all means ask me for help if you need it.  But please
stop whinging.

> By the way, everybody else would call their versions fvwm-2 and
> fvwm-3, and that's what I'll do, starting now.

So what I want from you is a list of things which aren't correct.  You say you
want "fvwm-2" and "fvwm-3".  Fine, I don't mind what it's called, provided
some choice is made.

-- Thomas Adam