On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 07:48:17PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> On 21 Jul 2001 19:26:09 +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> >
> > The recent fixes in the man page for Solaris etc. (\f...) broke
> > the bold typeface of the reformatted sections.  For example:
> >
> >   .TP
> >   .BI "Menu " menu-name " [ " position " ] [ " double-click-action " ]"
> >
> > was changed to
> >
> >   .IP "Menu \fImenu-name\fP [ \fIposition\fP ] [ \fIdouble-click-action\fP
> > ]"
> >
> > The "Menu", "[" and "]" parts of the old version are bold while
> > they are not in the new one.  Of course this can be fixed by
> > adding more \fB...\fP pairs, but I'd *really* prefer to find a way
> > to do that without \f...  Isn't there a way to split the .BI lines
> > into several?  Any ideas are welcome.
>
> I suggest the following style for all commands:
>
>   .B "Menu "
>   .I     menu-name
>   .BI    "[ " position " ]"
>   .BI    "[ " double-click-action " ]"
>
>   .B Popup
>   .I      popup-name
>   .BI     "[ " position " ]"
>   .BI     "[ " default-action " ]"
>
> I.e. use .B for command, .I for mandatory parameters, .BI for optional.
> I also think, the spaces in braces are not really needed: .BI [ position ]

But they *are* needed:

  .BI Menu [ option ]

would look like this (minus typefaces):

  Menu[option]

Of course one could argue about the spaces inside the brackets:

  .BI "Menu [ " option " ]"
  Menu [ option ]

versus

  .BI "Menu [" option "]"
  Menu [option]

> This syntax is more readable in my opinion. I may do all these changes.

Yes, the syntax looks mush better.  But then, you will have to add
something like ".IP" behind the syntax or you will get the text
right behind the syntax:

  .B Popup
  .I      popup-name
  .BI     "[ " position " ]"
  blabla bla

-->

  Popup popup-name [ position ] blabla bla

With .IP the next paragraph is properly indented, but a blank line
is inserted too:

  .B Popup
  .I      popup-name
  .BI     "[ " position " ]"
  .IP
  blabla bla

-->

  Popup popup-name [ position ]

        blabla bla

Currently, there is no such blank line.  Perhaps there is a way to
suppress it?