Dominik Vogt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 07:48:17PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> > On 21 Jul 2001 19:26:09 +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > >
> > > The recent fixes in the man page for Solaris etc. (\f...) broke
> > > the bold typeface of the reformatted sections.  For example:
> > >
> > >   .TP
> > >   .BI "Menu " menu-name " [ " position " ] [ " double-click-action " ]"
> > >
> > > was changed to
> > >
> > >   .IP "Menu \fImenu-name\fP [ \fIposition\fP ] [ \fIdouble-click-action\f
> P ]"
> > >
> > > The "Menu", "[" and "]" parts of the old version are bold while
> > > they are not in the new one.  Of course this can be fixed by
> > > adding more \fB...\fP pairs, but I'd *really* prefer to find a way
> > > to do that without \f...  Isn't there a way to split the .BI lines
> > > into several?  Any ideas are welcome.
> >
> > I suggest the following style for all commands:
> >
> >   .B "Menu "
> >   .I     menu-name
> >   .BI    "[ " position " ]"
> >   .BI    "[ " double-click-action " ]"
> >
> >   .B Popup
> >   .I      popup-name
> >   .BI     "[ " position " ]"
> >   .BI     "[ " default-action " ]"
> >
> > I.e. use .B for command, .I for mandatory parameters, .BI for optional.
> > I also think, the spaces in braces are not really needed: .BI [ position ]
>
> But they *are* needed:
>
>   .BI Menu [ option ]
>
> would look like this (minus typefaces):
>
>   Menu[option]
>
> Of course one could argue about the spaces inside the brackets:
>
>   .BI "Menu [ " option " ]"
>   Menu [ option ]
>
> versus
>
>   .BI "Menu [" option "]"
>   Menu [option]
>
> > This syntax is more readable in my opinion. I may do all these changes.
>
> Yes, the syntax looks mush better.  But then, you will have to add
> something like ".IP" behind the syntax or you will get the text
> right behind the syntax:
>
>   .B Popup
>   .I      popup-name
>   .BI     "[ " position " ]"
>   blabla bla
>
> -->
>
>   Popup popup-name [ position ] blabla bla
>
> With .IP the next paragraph is properly indented, but a blank line
> is inserted too:
>
>   .B Popup
>   .I      popup-name
>   .BI     "[ " position " ]"
>   .IP
>   blabla bla
>
> -->
>
>   Popup popup-name [ position ]
>
>         blabla bla
>
> Currently, there is no such blank line.  Perhaps there is a way to
> suppress it?

I tried using multiple .BI commands but the text ran into the paragraph.

I wonder if the .BI command used in Linux would work with the vendors
nroff/troff, perhaps all we need to do is copy the .BI macro into the
file(s) we need it in.

Maybe I'll have some time to check later...

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]