On 09 Apr 2003 09:57:36 +0200, Uwe Pross wrote:

> On 09 Apr 2003 at 02:55:10 +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
>
> > Autogenerated lines in cvs files is not a good idea.
>
> What do you mean by "auto"? In the new version there is not
> and it was not planed to autogenerate anything.
>
> In the new version some file for example author information
> or latest news *may* be created from the corresponding
> files (AUTHOR, NEWS) in the fvwm tree. I have provided
> awk-scripts for this.

No, I didn't mean files that are fully generated, only files that are
mostly written by hand but contain lines (meta information) that should
be updated on every file change.

Ideally, all meta information should be outside of the file contents,
but of course there may be exceptions, for example some web pages may
contain text "This page was last updated on XXX" as part of the content.
But this text at least serves some purpose, not is just a comment.

> > I just don't understand yet everything and it seems there
> > are bugs.
>
> I hope not ;-)

For example, I don't yet understand why sometimes lines inside a
window-based decorations are wrapped as if there is a table that is 30%
or similar of the whole window decoration width.

Also there is a broken layout and uninformative error when there are
consistency problems in $parent and $this on different pages. But you
probably fixed this.

> I did not have time to make a short documentation how the
> new php concept works (except a mail addressed to parv and
> fvwm-workers a couple of weeks ago) and how new sites are
> added/modified on the new web tree.
> I will do that in a while.
>
> Just some notes here:
> - You need a php web server which you grants write access
>   to the file navgen_write/navigation.inc

I think you refer to the old php. Let's just suppose everyone has
a new php and thus a command line php utility, so granting any write
access to the web server is not needed.

> - After cleaning the problems reported by navgen please
>   check your new site with the html and css checker.

The problem with this is that you should first commit and only after some
time (it is updated once in several hours) check out fvwm.org or
fvwm.sf.net, because links like "file://..." or "http://localhost/";
can't be checked.

Is there a validator that accepts input (say, as a form field) instead of
url? This is not urgent and not very important at all.

> > I plan to convert manpages and perllib documentation.
>
> Actually I am working on the creation of the manpage files
> at the moment. At least yesterday night ;-)
>
> The problem is that man2html produces non standard html. I
> found a tool http://tidy.sourceforge.net/ which can clean
> this html afterwards.
>
> I planed to write a new script or rewrite the actual script
> which makes some further adaption to get a nice manpage
> files for the fvwm web site.
>
> Since I might not have time till weekend you could do the
> manpage conversion script.
>
> Please let me know if you are going to do it so that I can
> send you some dones, ideas and plannings.

I planned only to convert html to php, i.e. to continue with man2html.

If you think it is not good enough, you may try tidy. Just, as you
said the current script does dozens of small fixes of both .1 and
the resulting .html, so the output becomes correct and usable.

I also planned to have this structure:

  documentation/manpages - links to stable and unstable, and to perllib
  documentation/manpages/stable - contains man pages of 2.4.x
  documentation/manpages/unstable - contains man pages of 2.5.x

  documentation/perllib - links to stable and unstable, and to manpages
  documentation/perllib/stable - contains man pages of 2.4.x
  documentation/perllib/unstable - contains man pages of 2.5.x

(Should we shorten "documentation" to "doc"?)

Since everything is autogenerated, I see no problems to have both
stable and unstable versions of man pages on the web.

I will wait for your answer about whether you want to try tidy or not
before starting to do this.

Regards,
Mikhael.