A current discussion with the gaim developers about some gaim
mis-feature has made me think about abandoning EWMH support
completely.  In my eyes, the only usefull message it has is the
FULLSCREEN stuff.  Everything else is just causing trouble.

Reasoning:

 * Most of the EWMH features are intended to mix applications
   written for the different desktop environments (DE), e.g. a KDE
   pager with a GNOME taskbar.
 * If fvwm is not running under a DE, these features are utterly
   useless.
 * If running under a DE, using the DE's pager, taskbar, etc. is
   not necessary as fvwm has a rich set of these modules.
 * An increasing number of applications mis-uses the EWMH hints to
   do funny things.
 * Most users have *no* chance to control such appications.  For
   example, the problem with SkipMapping and gaim that led to the
   discussion on the gaim list.  It took the user several days to
   figure out the problem and had to ask the fvwm developers for
   help.

All this leads me to the conclusion that the EWMH spec (at least
the client message part) offers very little benefits but causes a
huge amount of trouble.  It is simply not worth the effort.

I vote for abandoning EWMH support (at least the client messages).

Opinions?

Ciao